Monday, June 22, 2009

hello world

so, i was able to stop working two weeks before the due date. those two weeks seemed like the longest ever. i went for walks, watched movies, and just took it easy. i kept thinking man, is today going to be the day? i never had contractions on my own though.

our due date came and went. we ended up having a check up on the due date. they checked to make sure everything still looked good. my fluid levels had shrunk but everything still looked good. they scheduled me for another appointment a couple of days later. that thursday we went in and they checked the fluid levels again. they had diminished so much they told us to go straight to the hospital. we were definitely not expecting to go to the hospital that day, so we had our friend swing by our house and pick up the bag we had packed. i called my dad that day and he scheduled to fly out the next morning. they were going to induce us.

when we got to the hospital they weighed me in and sent us to our room. it took about two hours to check in. checking in seemed like forever. luckily doctor king, who i had been seeing during my whole pregnancy, was on call that day. she was going to try and induce me by giving suppositories. this never ended up working that day. we just ended up chilling in the hospital all day and night. luckily our good friends were there with us that whole day. it was nice having some friendly faces there with us.

the next morning the nurse woke us up at 5am. i took a shower and started to have some contractions. after taking a shower, they hooked me up to pitocin. pitocin is to help kick start labor. it is also supposed to make labor more intense. i was going to try and have an all natural labor, with no drugs but that didn’t go as planned.

luckily my dad arrived about 11am. it was so wonderful to have my father by my side, for this special part of my life. my husband was great throughout the entire labor. he was there holding my hand as i screamed and squeezed the crap out of his hand. i am sure he was glad to see my dad, so that his hand could return to its original color. the pain of labor was so intense. you always wonder what will it feel like, will i know when i’m in labor. you will definitely know. it is the most intense thing you will ever feel. i was in so much pain because of the pitocin and as my labor progressed the pain became more and more intense. after about eight hours of labor they were going to up the pitocin. at that point i couldn’t handle the pain anymore and needed something for the pain. so, even though i wanted an all natural birth i ended up getting the epidural. the pain was just way too intense for me. my friend that was sitting in the labor room with me was like, “i’ll just get that when i check in.” i thought that was really funny. it’s sort of a process getting the epidural. they want you to be completely still while giving it to you. it seems impossible to be still when you are having contractions and can’t manage to hold still. if you move though you can really mess yourself up. after getting the epidural they ask what your pain is and i just looked over and said “that’s about a zero.” i ended up being able to sleep after getting that. i think the epidural is a miracle drug.

my labor seemed to progress a lot faster after getting the epidural. i was only about 2 or 3 centimeters dilated before the shot and after it seemed like no time before i was ready to push. i really had that urge to push and the nurse didn’t believe me. after checking me though, i was dilated to 9 centimeters. she had to go find the doctor before he decided to eat his dinner and she told me not to push until they got back. i was like you are crazy if you think i can hold this thing in. i really needed to push and they were telling me not to. they were gone for about a half hour and i was like f this i am going to push. my husband was like wait a few more minutes and then i will go find them. i said ok and by the time he was gonna go on a search for them they were back.

i only pushed for about a half hour before jonah came out. it’s funny though because as i was waiting between pushes, the doctor was just looking at me like i was boring him. i felt like i was in a rush to push him out because i wasn’t entertaining enough or something. maybe he was really just wishing he was eating instead of helping me deliver. thinking man i could be eating a sandwich or something. as the doctor was pulling him out, he looked at my husband and asked if he wanted to finish the job. my husband was so overwhelmed though he just let the doctor finish. finally at 7:48pm jonah entered the world. in the movies they always scream out whether it’s a boy or girl and they didn’t do that with i said though we didn’t know what the sex was, so when he came out i yelled “what is it” and they told me it was a boy. he weighed 6lbs and 5oz and was 18 1/2 in. long. he was so beautiful. i just couldn’t believe i could have helped created something so amazing.

we were in the hospital for a total of three days. it was so wonderful to be going home that sunday. it was nice to be in our own home, in our own bed, with our new baby. everything was just so wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment